Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The real reason why John Howe is brilliant

Why is John Howe incredible? Is it because his technical ability to paint is jaw-dropping? Or maybe it is his use of composition? Possibly it is because his art is organic and has a kinetic quality? In my opinion: Yes, but his strongest point is that he's a Nerd. This is my four part introduction into one of the finest, most skilled, artistic nerds around.

He loves the Medieval Era ALOT. On his website (which I'll link at the end of his post) Here is a section called "Medieval" which is photos of him in various forms of medieval armor, garments, feasts, and yes- even a monster costume.

I have no idea who or what he does these recreations with. When I lived in Vancouver, BC, I studied and practiced Western martial Arts (WMA). Since Mr. Howe is from Vancouver, I thought maybe there was a chance I happened to rub elbows with someone who knows him through Historic European Martial Arts (another way to say WMA), but i find it doubtful. Then I thought that maybe he was a member of Society of Creative Anachronism (or SCA). But I also doubt that, because the SCA is more of a repectable form of LARP-ing based in historic fact.

It turns out he is a member of the "The Company of St. George" who are a group of medieval warfare reenactors. It seems similar to the SCA, but minus the nerd element and based in Europe. I don't think they have a Chapter in Canada, so I'm curious to know if he flies to Europe with his Sallet (helmet) stowed under his seat. Doesn't matter, he knows his material (he practically lives it).


Since he is so familiar with the medieval era, His work is that more believable. He takes a 15th century Germanic armored knight and throws a dragon into the picture (see above image). BAM- functional fantasy art. It's very honest to me, and makes more of a impact on my imagination than someone in non-functional, jewel-encrusted elvish rune armor. His use of Medieval realism really pulls me into the image more than any mediocre piece of art commissioned for Dungeons & Dragons could. His art is real. Any artist can paint landscapes of other worlds populated by various characters and creatures, but it will all blend together with other works. If you use real world elements rooted in European history, your work will stand out above the rest, because your using fact as your basis for creativity.

The following gallery is his art that isn't Middle-Earth based (that will be the following three posts). All of this is based off of either Arthurian Legend, various forms of contemporary fiction, or non-commissioned paintings. All of the characters are historically accurate, even if they're placed in an alternative or fantasy world.













John Howe's personal website- http://www.john-howe.com/
Historical European Martial Arts (Get hip to it)- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_European_martial_arts

1 comment: